Wednesday 22 September 2010

Baubles for the Christmas tree

When I was in London recently, I visited a fantastic artists' supplies shop in Covent Garden. I wanted to buy just about everything, of course, but resisted temptation and just came away with a very useful compass cutter (for cutting perfect circles out of paper) and a bag of white polystyrene balls which I could see would be perfect for making into Christmas decorations.

So here are my first three baubles of the season. I have coated each of them with glitter glue, before decorating them with various types of quilling. So that they can easily be hung from the branches of a Christmas tree, I have made a little 'tunnel' through the top of each bauble with a meat skewer and then threaded a length of ribbon through. These first three have been a bit experimental, but I plan to make a few more to try selling at the Friday market. Hopefully people will like them ... and they are great fun to make!


By the way, I've just started taking orders for quilled watches, woven purses and personalised cards for Christmas 2010 ... you can find more details over on my Quilliance Marketplace page.

8 comments:

  1. What an awesome idea. Those are great. My favorite is the second one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is really clever of you . I liked the monochromatic one the best. Your tree is going to look great this year phillipa.

    ReplyDelete
  3. They are really pretty! I have planned something very similar to do with my girls this year :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi everyone - I'm so glad you like my baubles!! They're all still a bit experimental at the moment, but I'm hoping to develop the idea into a product that will be popular at the market. It's interesting that you preferred the second one - I think maybe the multi-coloured one is a little bit over the top! It takes a surprisingly long time to cover these spheres with quilling, so I'm going to have to work on something that's a bit less labour-intensive.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Katherine and Belinda!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great idea! I think that I may have to try something similar! Although with a two-month-old baby, I don't really have much time for quilling!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you manage to get some done, Quill Seeker!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails